Job offer: East Africa Deputy Regional Representative/Regional Food Security Specialist in Nairobi, Kenya by Chemonics International Inc.
Chemonics seeks a full-time East Africa Deputy Regional Representative and Regional Food Security Specialist (DRR-RFSS). The DRR-RFSS will preferably be based in Nairobi, Kenya at the FEWS NET EWT regional office; exceptionally qualified candidates based within the East Africa region in a country where FEWS NET has an established presence may also be considered.
FEWS NET is an integrated set of activities funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and is intended to provide timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis.
Chemonics International, implements the FEWS NET EWT, a team charged with integrated emergency food security analysis through a Washington-based technical office and more than 20 field offices.
Chemonics International Inc. is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Providing representational leadership at the regional- and country levels, including collaboration with key regional and international partners in acute food insecurity monitoring and analysis in the region, as well as providing strategic direction to FEWS NET EWT project offices related to collaborations with country-level partners
- Working with USAID Missions in the region to support broad acute food insecurity analysis and early warning efforts
- Providing strategic leadership in the planning and executing of technical activities in the region, including early warning analysis, livelihoods and vulnerability assessments, monitoring tools and methods development, capacity strengthening, markets and trade and other sector-specific analysis, and network development/strengthening
- Developing and implementing regional and country office work plans
- Assisting the RR in the management, coaching, and professional development of technical and administrative/operational colleagues across the region
- Ensuring the implementation of strategic and prospective considerations, as well as reporting major developments and trends in the medium- and long-term in the countries of the region, based on regional objectives for food security
- Carrying out technical and management functions of the regional office, as assigned
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required; other local language skills relevant to the region are desirable
- A Bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as economics, agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography is required; an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or higher) is desirable
- At least six years of relevant experience (with Ph.D.), ten years of relevant experience (with a Master’s degree), or 15 years of relevant experience (with a Bachelor’s degree) is required
- Relevant experience includes working on food security information systems, food security analysis, early warning, or other related fields; experience working with UN agencies and/or NGOs is desirable
- Previous experience with the IPC or CH is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to effectively conduct assessments, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, and analyze information from relevant sectors using both qualitative and quantitative methods is required
- Demonstrated leadership capacities and an ability to work independently, when necessary is required, as are strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated analytical and report-writing skills are required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required, including demonstrated ability to coordinate productively with diverse partner stakeholders (e.g., UN, non-governmental organizations, host government entities) and multidisciplinary, multicultural teams, and to work effectively with remote-based colleagues
- Excellent computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) are required; ability to effectively use statistical software packages and/or GIS applications is desirable
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
The DRR-RFSS position will remain open for applications through 11:59 p.m. EST on October 24th, 2022. To apply: https://fewsnet.formstack.com/forms/ewt_ea_drr_rfss. All application materials, including responses to the general information form, CVs, and cover letters, should be provided in English. No telephone inquiries. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. A full scope of work for this position and application information can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/