Job offer: Account Assistant at Plan International. Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
A concise statement, capturing the primary reasons that this role exists and a clear articulation of the context of the role. How will this role contribute to creating lasting change for children?
Responsible for providing financial and operational support to Country Office/Projects and Program Units by facilitating timely request of funds. Performs general accounting functions primarily, encoding of transactions in Plan International integrated Software (SAP), cash payments to staff and third parties (, maintenance of subsidiary accounting records, preparation of financial reports and provision of assistance on other accounting related functions.
Dimensions of the Role
This section provides a summary of the size and authority of the post. It covers the size of the budget held, the numbers of direct reports, other key stakeholders who may depend on it, the type of communication required, the external representation involved and the reach of the role.
Under the supervision of the Country Accountant/Project Accountant of the Finance Coordinator, the Account Assistant will have to perform the below main activities:
- Cash disbursement and journals,
- Cash receipts from donors and IH
- Accurate and systematic filling of documents
- Field payments in case the online payment is not possible
- [This section is critical for clarifying expectations of the role, providing the framework for its relationship with colleagues and providing areas of accountability against which performance can be managed.
- This should include a series of brief statements that define the end results required. E.g. drive, contribute, identify, manage, responsible for, advise/coach, build, develop, provide, conduct, oversee, establish, participate etc.
- Statements should ideally be worded so that they will lead to thoughts of measurement. For example, it is better to state something like “achieve maintenance standards” than “undertake maintenance”. The former leads to a measure against the maintenance standards.]
- Process Payment and Journal Vouchers through Plan International integrated software (SAP) on time and in accordance with the Operations Manual.
- Cancel all documents attached to payment/journal package before sending for review and approval.
- Encodes accrual accounting entries in accordance with the accrual accounting plan of action.
- Coordinates the receipt of all fund requests from Program Units and from all department units and ensures accuracy of fund request received from various department units.
- Maintains complete and accurate file of fund transfer transmittals and ensures that bank Balances will have sufficient balance to avoid no sufficient funds at any given point in time before any payment is processed.
- Records all documents from other departments in the appropriate ledger (Local Purchased Order, payment requests, Projects, Projects Amendment…)
- Records all documents sent out of Finance Department to the appropriate ledger for traceability
- Liaise with other departments to prepare the monthly and the bi-weekly cash forecast
- Files all Disbursement Vouchers/Journal Vouchers systematically no later than the following month, with all supporting documents attached and duly stamped with PAID( cancellation), date and check number indicated.
- Safe-keeps all unused checks and check stubs in the vault.
- Put in place a ledger to follow up the use of check booklet
- Process payment to staff and keep unused funds to the vault
- Prepare the cash situation in a weekly basis and send to the Country Accountant/Finance Coordinator for review
- Participate in the Year-End process by providing all the documents requested by the Region and Country Office.
- Support the Project Coordinator in the budget management: preparation, review and amendment.
- Prepare Project financial report in a timely basis in accordance with the donor regulations and accurate data matching with the one in Plan software.
Perform others tasks assigned by the supervisor
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- [This section refers to people inside and/or outside of the organisation that the post-holder needs to have contact with, and why. This should include virtual presence.]
- Has high contact with all country office and program unit Account staff to perform his/her assignment
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- [This section details the skills, knowledge and expertise the postholder will be required to demonstrate in doing the job well.
- This should include clear levels of technical expertise and skills that support our work at national, international, and global level.]
- At least HND or BTS in accounting, finance, management, economics
- At least one experience preferably in an international development organization,
- Accounting experience in data entry
- Knowledge of local finance system,
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet),
- Be bilingual (English and French)
Experience: 3 to 5 Years Location: Yaounde, Cameroon